Jenny Gould Therapy
CBT, Clinical Hypnotherapy, Coaching
Top Tips: Managing Anger
• Remember that no-one else can ‘make’ us angry – we do that
• Stop – breathe slowly and deeply into your abdominal area.
Consciously relax at the same time.
• Take a mental step back – no need to respond immediately. Take time
out if necessary.
• Use positive ‘self talk’ – remember what you think affects how you feel,
and therefore how you behave! Try ‘leave it!’, ‘it’s not worth getting
upset’, 'what does it matter!’.
• Don’t assume you know what the other person feels or wants.
Communicate, and that includes listening!
• When you start to feel defensive – ask yourself why
• Be assertive about what you want – and learn to say ‘No’
• Respect yourself and others will respect you.
• Try to deal with problems early on, don’t let them build up.
• If you make a mistake – don’t beat yourself up. You’re fallible.
• Ask for support early – it’s a sign of strength not weakness.